Ignite Durham enlightens 650 people at the Carolina Theatre

10 Feb

The only problem with Ignite Durham is that organizers are going to have a hard time topping themselves next year. The two-hour event at the historic Carolina Theatre in downtown Durham featured 14 micro presentations ranging from the Lost Art of Political Cartooning to highlighting our year of the Camahueto. Cama what? Yes, Camahueto.

Five-minute, 20 slide presentations are happening in more than 100 cities around the world as part of global Ignite week. The takeaways will vary, but attendees at each Ignite event should leave with some new knowledge and possibly even a desire to right some wrongs in our world.

At Ignite Durham we learned:

* The importance of getting involved and volunteering to help our neighbors. Henry Kaestner told us about a survey by the organization Durham Cares that found 64 percent of Bull City residents did not volunteer last year. He urged us to find a way to get involved.

* You can make a difference with minimal commitment. Another inspiring speaker, Sara Rose, also has a passion for making a difference through volunteer work. In 2009, she founded Change the Triangle, which makes it easy as pie to find time to volunteer in the Triangle, even if you think there’s just no time in your schedule. Her organization arranges a monthly volunteer activity planned and organized ahead of time. All you have to do is show up.

* Honeybees are overworked and under loved. Bee lover Jimmy Chalmers, a powerful and passionate speaker, tells us that part of the reason the honeybee population is dwindling is because some beekeepers are overworking their precious bees. Did you know honeybees need a vacation just like the rest of us? Well, they do.

Honeybees are not created to work 12 months a year. But some beekeepers don’t care. When it’s too cold to keep their bees pollinating, they put them on trucks and ship them to warmer climates. So honeybees have a carbon footprint. WTF, America?! Lesson learned: I will be doing my research before buying anymore honey.

* Skepticism is greater than cynicism. Researcher Tom Webster urged us all to be skeptics, not cynics. My little journalist heart sang because as our world becomes increasingly messed up and information becomes increasingly easy to put our fingers on, I’ve found myself dipping my toe in the cynicism waters more and more lately. His presentation helped put both of my feet back on the land of the skeptics. If you don’t know the difference between skepticism and cynicism, take a moment to familiarize yourself. The world definitely needs more skeptics than cynics.

Organizers Ryan Boyles and Jeff Cohen, Host Zach Ward and Volunteer Coordinator Lisa Sullivan made it all possible, along with other helpers and sponsors. Feel free to give those who deserve a shout out in the comments. I wanted to make this entire post a love fest for all the fantastic presenters, but my cup of tea is dry and I have to go to work.

Thank you, Ryan Boyles and Jeff Cohen for coordinating Ignite Durham. And thank you to everyone else who made it happen. It’s events like this that keep the Triangle cool.

7 Responses to “Ignite Durham enlightens 650 people at the Carolina Theatre”

1. Dave February 10, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Let’s hope that next time, the organizers don’t schedule this thing on top of a Duke-UNC game. Any other night, I would have been interested in this.

2. Ryan Boyles February 10, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Ginny,
    Thank you thank you for blogging about your favorite bits from last night at Ignite Durham. We could not have had the huge success without the support of our attendees from Durham, Chapel Hill, Duke, Raleigh, Carrboro and everywhere in between. I am glad that people came out before the big game to get a little bit of inspiration and some great entertainment. I have to tip my hat to Zach. He is our partner in organizing Ignite shows in Raleigh and Durham now, and his efforts make our event better for it. I am glad we were able to have a great after-party at Fullsteam at 9pm and watch the game on their projector movie screen, it was fun and it was great for me as organizer to be able to talk with everyone and catch up after the show. I also have to say, big ups to the speakers. They really were good. We will be announcing Ignite Raleigh 3 soon for summer / fall.

Talk to you soon,
    Ryan @theRab

3. DK February 10, 2011 at 8:31 am #

Thanks for sharing these notes! Tell me more about your singing journalist heart? I’ve got one of those, too.

4. DJ Waldow February 10, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Dang. I miss you crazy cats in Durham…

DJ Waldow
    Director of Community, Blue Sky Factory
    @djwaldow

5. Jeff February 10, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Ginny:
    Thanks for attending last night and for this great post with some of your highlights. As one of the organizers, I want to echo what Ryan said, and I want to expand on something I tweeted this morning. The Triangle community is one of the most awesome places in the world. I meet a lot people in my travels as I speak at various events and I tell them about what we do in the Triangle. They can’t believe the number of events we have, the number of people who turn out (and not just attendees, but speakers and people wanting to speak) and the general support we get from the community.

The reason we continue to put on events, and get so excited to keep doing it, is because we get such great support from people like you, Ginny. Our speakers have continued to help us raise the bar, and we can’t wait for the next event. We are already talking about it.

Jeff Cohen
    Co-Organizer, IgniteDurham, IgniteRaleigh
    and other Triangle community events

6. MoviesMass December 26, 2011 at 9:51 am #

One of the best site which provide free mobile movies is http://www.moviesmass.com.

I always get the latest one from there and the best part of it is that it is absolutely free.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks